Saturday, October 26, 2013

Student Reflections

I'm currently sitting at a week past midterm of my fourth quarter at Savannah College of Art and Design Atlanta. It's an experience, let me tell you.


The Past

I was never a good student. All through high school and community college shortly after I was an average student. I wasn't meant to be a college student, at least not at 18. I struggled with my new found freedom of not being at home under my parents thumb. I was experiencing college life: the parties, the friends, the booze, the drugs, all with the exception of actually going to college. Well, that's not correct, I tried to go to college. I did really well my first semester. Afterwards was a series of failing grades and withdrawals.

I always knew I wanted to do something with design. I was really big into web design. I had been designing web sites since I was 13 - though I would dare to say none of them were what I would consider good or well made. But, I was self taught, and I wanted instruction.

In 2007 I went to a local tech school and signed up for a class that I thought would teach me to make web sites. Instead, it taught me about commercial arts and graphic design. I was in love. I finally found what I had been searching for. A path. A future. A desire.d

Now, nearly 7 years later, I'm back in school. I never received my BA in graphic design. I was laid off in 2008 and was unable to get a job. I was told by multiple interviewers that it was my lack of a degree that made them choose differently.

So, off to SCAD I went. And I haven't looked back.

The Present

It's been a dream. It's hard. I'm not a bright eyed 19 year old. I'm 31. I have two small children. Luckily for me, I don't look my age. Everyone is always surprised when I tell them I have kids or that I'm in my 30s. Which of course, is nice.

What I find fascinating, and familiar, is that most of my fellow students really struggle with the coursework and assignments. They complain about not having enough time. I laugh on the inside when I hear this. I am with my children 7 days a week. 4 hours, twice a week, I go to school. My husband has two days off work. On those days he watches the kids so I can get to campus. I manage to get my homework done while juggling an infant and managing a 3 year old.

I am the ultimate multitasker and time manager.

But I was like them when I was their age. I can understand. It just reminds me of how I wasn't ready so long ago. I'm ready now, because I have motivation (my children).

And another alarming, yet familiar, thing about going to school with younger (much younger) people, is the surprise I feel when they are so unfamiliar with the content. Many of my classmates have never designed before, never touched design software. It's like they woke up after graduating high school and said: mom, dad, I want to be a graphic designer.

I might have struggled early on, but I always had an idea of what I wanted. I just didn't know exactly what that was or how to do it. Keep in mind, when I went to college the first time around they didn't have specialized AA degrees and there was no such major as graphic design. Kids have it much easier today, I think.

My youngest sister is in her first year of college and she already knows EXACTLY what she wants. It's an amazing thing. I wish I had had her resolve at that age. She knows what she wants and she's learning how to get it. I couldn't admire her more.

The Future

Once I've left SCAD and all those unique snowflakes (aka my classmates), I know I'm going to miss it. I won't miss the butterflies I get in my stomach before entering a class for the first time (this is usually due to my paranoia about being older). What I will miss is the incredibly talented people, the atmosphere of having like minded individuals all working toward the same goal. Art school is a fantastic place to be if you are of that mind set.

I don't know what the job market will be when I get out.

I do know that I will have finally accomplished something.

I'll be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment